There are 41 species of termites in North America, and while most occur in the southeast United States, the only U.S. state where termites have not been found is Alaska. Now add in the 42nd species found in a gutted home in New Orleans Mid-City. Believed by etymologists to be a Darwin's Subterranean termite that went through the rigors of Katrina the new bug eats wood and plastic. Efforts are currently being made to learn if more Queens live in Mid-City area . Testing is being done on what methods are best suited to control them limiting their rage to just New Orleans. Several bugs have been sent to labs at Ohio State University for further study.
- Live for 15 years
- Lay 1 egg every 15 seconds
- Have 4 wings
- Burrow tiny mud tunnels to a source of wood
- Leave sawdust near windows
- Enjoy wood resulting from leaky plumbing
- Can destroy entire house in about 2-3 years